The traditional recipe of scotch eggs involves wrapping hard-boiled eggs in sausage meat, and then these eggs are breaded and fried. Serve them with flavorful mustard dipping sauce, essential for this British delicacy!
This is a typical picnic and party dish of the UK. It was firstly inspired by the Indian and Pakistani dish Nargisi Kofta. In the Indian version, hard-boiled eggs were encased in spicy ground meat. This scotch eggs recipe will give you an unexpected tender and delicious egg yolk within a crispy exterior.
Effortless Scotch Eggs Recipe!
If you are looking for a non-vegetarian appetizer recipe, prepare these delicious scotch eggs. The hard-boiled eggs are coated with minced chicken and batter made using all-purpose flour.
People who say that British food is bland should try this delicious and flavorful dish. The best thing about this recipe is the side dip of mustard sauce. It can range from sweet to savory and provide you with something lip-smackingly delicious.
So, let’s see how you can make this delicious British delicacy at your home.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 5 serves
- Eight egg
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- Four tablespoon milk
- One tablespoon of English mustard
- 100 gm panko breadcrumbs
- black pepper as required
- 300 gm minced chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped parsley
- salt as required
- 50 gm all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon mace powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- water as required
Method to Prepare
- Take a large pan and pour water into it. Bring water to a boil and keep the flame on high.
- After a boil, add six eggs into the heating pan and boil them for around 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, place the eggs in ice-cold water. This will help you retain a runny yolk.
- Keep the eggs in the cold water for at least 10 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, prepare the coating of the eggs.
- Take a large bowl and add minced chicken, coriander leaves, parsley, rosemary, mace powder, and English mustard. Mix them to combine well.
- Season the chicken mixture with salt and pepper as per your liking. Then, knead it like a dough until everything is well-combined.
- Divide this prepped mixture into six equal parts and keep it aside.
- By now, your eggs will be easy to handle. Peel them, discard the shell and keep the eggs aside.
- Now, you will have two extra eggs. Crack the raw eggs into a bowl with milk and season the mixture with a bit of salt. Beat until everything is mixed together.
- Take another bowl, place the flour and a little salt and pepper powder.
- Now, take a portion of the minced chicken mixture and spread it with the help of your fingers until it is large enough to encase a single egg.
- Spread the flour on a working space, so the chicken mixture doesn’t stick.
- Roll the one egg on the flour bowl and place it at the center of the flat minced chicken mixture.
- Do this process gently and ensure the egg is covered entirely with minced chicken.
- Dip this egg into the flour, then the milk-egg mixture, and lastly, breadcrumbs.
- Repeat this process with the remaining eggs.
- Meanwhile, pour oil into a frying pan and put it over a high flame. When the oil is hot enough, fry the eggs one by one. Fry the eggs until they are golden brown.
- Top it off with chopped parsley, serve it with mustard sauce, and enjoy!
Making scotch eggs is easier than you think. The best thing about this appetizer recipe is that it is very popular with the family as all love it. So, try this delicious Scotch eggs recipe at home and enjoy this delicacy with your family.