A breakfast recipe that is amazingly unique yet delicious – Black pudding is one recipe that is a dish for adventurers! Made from pork or beef blood, pork fat, oatmeal, oat groats, or barely groats, and pennyroyal.
This dish is a delicacy that has been made and served for centuries. The origins of this recipe date back to the 1st century when the first detailed recipe was placed in Apicius, a collection of Roman recipes!
Delicious Black Pudding Breakfast Recipe that You Must Try!
If you are unsure how to make this delicious dish, don’t worry; we have you covered! Black pudding is an effortless and inexpensive recipe to make. Additionally, it is an excellent source of zinc, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and protein. Pair this recipe with bacon; you will have a 100% efficient cure for all hangovers.
You can eat it any time of the day, as black pudding has evolved from just a breakfast recipe. The credit must go to Irish chefs who have found ways to incorporate black pudding into salads and main dishes.
So, let’s see how you can make this delicious Scottish breakfast right at home.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6 serves
- 4 cups of fresh pig’s blood
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups steel-cut oatmeal
- 2 cups finely diced pork fat, finely chopped
- One large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- One teaspoon of ground allspice
Method to Prepare
- First, preheat the oven to 325°F and grease two glasses of loaf pans. Then, stir one teaspoon of salt into the pig’s blood.
- Then, pour 2 ½ cups of water, bring it to a boil, and add oats.
- Simmer the oats and water for around 15 minutes, until tender but not mushy.
- Now, pour the blood through a fine sieve into a large bowl and remove any lumps.
- Stir in the fat, onion, milk, pepper, allspice, and the remaining salt.
- Then, add the oatmeal and give it a good mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture into two loaf pans and cover them with foil. Bake them for about an hour until firm.
- Once done, let it cool completely. You can also seal it in plastic wrap and freeze it to extend its life.
- When serving, cut a ½-inch thick loaf. Fry that in butter or oil until the sides are crispy and browned.
You may be intimidated by the ingredients of this recipe, but it will taste delicious and lip-smacking. This is a traditional Irish recipe that you will find in nearly every home there. So, make this unique recipe and surprise your family with something delicious and out-of-the-box!