This classic Hawaiian pizza will combine pizza sauce, cheese, ham, and pineapple to give you a unique yet delicious pizza! This crowd-pleaser recipe starts with our homemade pizza dough and finishes with a sprinkle of crispy bacon. This pizza is salty, sweet, and cheesy-licious.
Despite its name, this pizza was NOT originated in Hawaii! Instead, a Greek-born Canadian named Sam Panopoulos invented this pizza for his restaurant way back in 1962 as a result of his personal liking for sweet and savory Chinese food. The name Hawaiian stuck due to the brand of canned pineapples he used in the first recipe.
Flavorsome Hawaiian Pizza Recipe!
There is no other subject as divisive and controversial in the culinary world than the addition of pineapple to pizza. This topic certainly ranks right up there with other topics that inspire strong opinions for and against it. Pineapple on pizza is not just a simple topping choice like pepperoni or extra cheese – it is a position that must be defended.
We will certainly not weigh in on this debacle, but it’s easy to make if you enjoy this unique pizza variety. The unlikely flavor combination still has some detractors, and is still one of the most loved pizzas in many pizzerias.
If you really enjoy a dish that has a perfect combination of savory and sweet flavors, chances are high that you are gonna love Hawaiian pizza. Let’s see how you can make it at home effortlessly!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 serves
- 1 ball of homemade pizza dough
- 1/2 cup homemade pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced cooked ham
- 1 cup well-drained pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
Method to Prepare
- Gather all the ingredients and preheat the oven to 500 F.
- Roll out the pizza dough about a 12-inch round on a floured kitchen surface. Stretch the dough using your hands.
- It doesn’t need to be a perfect circle but aim for an even thickness on the edges.
- Move the dough to the baking sheet and spread the pizza sauce evenly across the surface of the dough.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese, then layer the sliced ham and pineapple chunks.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 475 F. Slide your pizza in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes.
- Ensure that the dough is cooked through and the cheese fully melted before you take it out.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!
This Hawaiian pizza is the perfect recipe that combines sweet and savory flavors loaded on top of a crispy crust. Here, delicious and melty mozzarella cheese locks in the layers of salty bacon and juicy pineapple to give you a uniquely delicious pizza. So, try it and enjoy something new yet scrumptious.