One of the most loved street snacks in India, particularly in North India – dahi bhalla is one savoury dish that combines the tanginess of curd with flavorful spices and herbs. You can serve this recipe as a chilled snack or starter during parties and get-togethers. This delicious dish from the street will get you hooked!
The history and origination of this recipe are one of the most debatable topics. However, one of the most convincing theories suggests that dahi bhalla can be traced back to the Mughal Cuisine. It is believed that in the 18th century, Mughal Khansamas prepared this delightful delicacy in the Mughal Royal Kitchen using curd, herbs, and spices to improve digestion.
How to Make Dahi Bhalla Easily and Deliciously?
The tanginess of the curd, the softness of bhalle, and the flavours of various spices will present you with a dish that is very hard to resist! The dish has so many flavours that your taste buds will have a party of myriads of spices and herbs.
You will learn how to make a soft, melt-in-your-mouth dahi bhalla with this recipe. French lentil fritters in seasoned and herbed yogurt and topped with various chutneys and spices – you are just gonna fall in love with this recipe!
Let’s see how you can make this delicious dahi bhalla recipe at home!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2 serves
- 1/2 cup soaked overnight urad dal
- Two teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cashews
- One tablespoon of grated coconut
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- One tablespoon of sweet tamarind sauce
- One handful of pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups refined oil
- One pinch asafoetida
- One green chili
- 1/2 teaspoon raisins
- 1 cup yogurt (curd)
- One dash sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- One tablespoon of green chutney
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Two pinches salt
Method to Prepare
- Drain the urad dal overnight and transfer it to a grinder. Now, add hing powder, ginger, green chillies, and salt. Give it a good mix.
- Grind it until you get a smooth paste, and keep it aside. Pour a little water if needed while grinding.
- Now, take a bowl and add cashew nuts, raisins, coconut, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add these ingredients to the batter and give it a good mix.
- If you love spicy food, add finely chopped green chillies.
- Pour oil into a deep frying pan and heat it over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, add a spoonful of batter into the hot oil.
- Fry the bhalla until it becomes crispy and golden. Once fried, transfer it to a paper towel-lined dish to drain excess oil.
- After a few minutes, drop these bhallas into a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let’s prepare the flavoured dahi.
- Take a bowl and whisk yogurt, milk, and sugar in it. Squeeze excess water from the bhallas and transfer them to a serving bowl.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the bhallas.
- Sprinkle cumin powder, black salt, sweet tamarind chutney, and green chutney over your dahi bhalla bowl.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and green chillies to give dahi bhalla a more eye-catching, delicious look.
- Add some pomegranate seeds, serve, and enjoy it chilled!
Dahi bhalla is a scrumptious dish made with curd and some easily available spices and veggies. Just 10 to 20 minutes of your time, and you will be able to whip up this amazingly delicious delicacy at home!