We loved to eat white potatoes and we enjoyed it so much- all the white potato soup and clam chowder- we liked all that. But as soon as we got to know about the carbs available in every serving, we were finding a substitute for our favorite vegetable. We find it in the sweet potato soup recipe.
It is by far, a very highly nutritious vegetable soup as it has protein, many types of vitamins, potassium, and fiber, etc. it contains fiber and antioxidants that promote the growth of good gut bacteria and contribute to a healthy gut.
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
It is very similar in taste but with a sweet punch and low carbs. The best recipe you can make out of is the sweet potato soup. It is very easy to make and really a nutrient-dense recipe. People are adding sweet potato soup over white potato soup because of the higher nutrients available in it and to avoid the inflammatory nature of white potato.
- Prep time: less than 30 minutes
- Cook time: 10 to 30 minutes
- Serves: 3 or 4 servings
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, as you like
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lime, juiced
- Peanuts, to garnish
- ¼ cilantro, to garnish
Method to Prepare:
- Dice onion and throw them into the oil in a pot on low-medium heat. Let the onion cook slowly for about five minutes.
- Peel and then chop the sweet potatoes into cubes.
- Dice the bell pepper, garlic, and ginger and put them into the pot. Add cayenne pepper and cinnamon too. Cook for another 2 minutes and then add butter, soy sauce, vinegar, and tomato.
- Add a splash of broth and stir well.
- Chuck in the sweet potatoes and broth as well, and simmer on medium heat. Stir occasionally and after 10-15 minutes check if the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and black pepper, maple syrup, and lime juice and give another stir.
- Use a blender, give the soup blend and that’s it.
- Garnish it with peanuts and coconut milk or white cream and enjoy the healthy punch of sweet potato soup.
- Freeze in individual portions for up to 3 months. Defrost completely before heating through in a saucepan or in the microwave.
- For fun, garnish, drizzle a little coconut milk or cream into each bowl or sprinkle over some freshly chopped coriander.
- Fry up a pinch of cumin seeds and chili flakes in a little oil and swirl into the soup to make it tasty and a little spicy.
- Calories – 334
- Fat – 11g
- Sodium – 983mg
- Carbs – 54g
- Protein – 8g
- Vitamin C – 71mg
- Calcium – 100mg
- Iron – 3.8mg
One of the best things about it is that sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, anthocyanin, and antioxidants that may help prevent vision loss and improve eye health.