Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of obtaining fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Since the fiber is not digestible by the body, it stays in the digestive tract and in your colon to form short-chain fatty acids that further nurture your intestinal lining.
The orange and purple varieties of sweet potatoes contain certain antioxidants that can prevent attacks of the radicals that induce inflammation and even damage DNA leading to heart diseases, cancer, and aging.
The antioxidant group called Anthocyanins slows the growth of cancerous cells present in the bladder, colon, breast, and stomach.
A cup of baked orange sweet potato when eaten with skin imparts beta-carotene which gets converted into Vitamin A in your body to develop light-sensing receptors inside the eyes thereby improving overall eyesight too.
These benefits are proof that we should incorporate sweet potatoes into our daily diet.
Let us then see some lip-smacking recipes that would make it easier for you to consume this healthy vegetable.
Sweet Potato Pie
Who doesn’t love pies? They’re mushy if needed but primarily a sweet treat for when you want to enjoy something piquantly delicious!
- 1/2 tbsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- An unbaked pie crust of about 9 inches
- 1 pound of sweet potato
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- A cup full of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk
- At Least 2 eggs
How To Prepare:
- Take the sweet potatoes and boil them along with their skin for about 40 to 50 minutes and pour some cold water on it to remove the skin.
- Take a bowl and mash these sweet potatoes followed by adding butter and mixing them both well and fine. Add sugar, nutmeg, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla before stirring it until the mixture becomes smoother.
- Fill the mixture into a pie crust to bake it at approximately 175℃ for about an hour which will make the pie swell up only to sink down after it cools.
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Why not add a sweet delight to you after meals with this sweet choice of dessert made with, you guessed it, sweet sweet potatoes!
- A cup and a fourth of a cup of cracker crumbs
- A fourth of a cup full of white sugar
- A fourth of a cup of loose butter
- At least 2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces of soft cream cheese
- Almost a cup full of white sugar
- Sour cream but a third of a cup
- Half a cup filled with dense whipping cream
- At least 3 eggs
- Nearly a full cup of brown sugar
- A fourth of a cup of butter
- One cup of chopped pecans
How To Prepare:
- First of all, preheat the oven to 175℃ while you mix cracker crumbs with a 1/4th cup of sugar and 1/4th cup of melted butter.
- Grab a springform pan with a depth of about nine and a half inches to fill it with the previously made mixture and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup melted butter to bake for 10 minutes and set them aside but keep the oven on.
- Bake sweet potatoes in a baking dish and let them cool to be later peeled and mashed into a puree to be further mixed with cream cheese, 2 tbsp sugar, and eggs.
- Pour this mixture into the crust to be baked at 175℃ and then let the cake cool off for at least 1 hour before you decide to add any further toppings.
- Lastly, you can now enjoy the Sweet Potato Cheesecake with your friends and family!
Sweet Potato Chili
One of the oldest yet ever so perfect dishes in the world, the sweet potato chilies will make you ask more and more and then again some more!
- Some salt with a cup of corn
- Little black pepper and cayenne pepper
- Some garlic powder and onion powder
- Half a pound of turkey
- Half a pound of beef
- A can of black beans
- At Least 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 cans of tomatoes seasoned with chilies
- 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- A cup of sweet onion
- Half cup of chopped celery
- Half a cup of water
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- One teaspoon of cumin
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
How To Prepare:
- Gather everything in a slow cooker which shall include, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, celery, and water.
- Stir them occasionally as you cook them for nearly 5 hours while preparing a heated skillet to stir turkey and beef until they’re friable and brown which will take anywhere between 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the meats along with corn to the sweet potato mix after removing extra grease into the cooker until the flavors have blended properly and kept it warm on a pot for an hour or two as per necessity. It is then ready to serve it while it’s hot.
Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Surprise your tastebuds and nurture your body at the same time by preparing this incredible recipe with the help of sweet potatoes and other exciting ingredients.
- 5 sweet potatoes
- A pack of soft cream cheese
- 4 green onions cut in small pieces
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- Half a tsp salt
- Half a tsp of black pepper
- Half a cup of vegetable oil
- A dozen 7-inch corn tortillas
- 19 ounces of enchilada sauce
- 1 packet of shredded cheese
How To Prepare:
- Boil sweet potatoes in water inside a large pot at medium heat for half an hour and then peel their skin after cooling to later mash them in a bowl with cream cheese, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, green onions, and chili powder.
- Prepare a baking dish by greasing it and putting it into a preheated oven at 175℃ while on the other side you heat oil in a skillet over low heat to fry the tortillas one at a time and per side.
- Remove oil from tortillas with tissue papers and place the mashed sweet potato mix in the center of tortillas before rolling them up and placing them upside down, meaning the scarred side will be downward facing inside the baking dish.
- Apply Enchilada sauce over the tortillas and put shredded cheese over it to then bake it into a preheated oven for the duration of half an hour at max. Watch out for the obvious signs of the cheese getting brown and bubbling enchiladas which leads us to the successful completion of a marvelous dish.
These were just four types of exciting dishes that you can prepare at home for events, special occasions, and dinners.
Innovate your cooking style without compromising the health of your loved ones with these irresistible recipes!