Less ingredients on hand but still want to enjoy a lip-smacking snack? Here’s the Stuffed Onion Pakoda recipe for you! Fill onions with tender potatoes, dip them in batter, and fry them to perfection!
Come monsoon, and your heart will start yearning for something spicy and crunchy to munch on. This is where these pakoras will delight you.
With just a handful of ingredients, you’ll be able to make them quickly and indulge yourself in their flavorful taste during this rainy season.
Who Invented Pakoras?
Kundan Lal invented the pakora recipe in the 1930s. Kundanji wanted to add fried delicacies to his Peshawar restaurant’s menu. So, he had an idea to batter-fry marinated pieces of chicken. This is how pakoras were invented.
Instead of using chicken, vegetarian people have been enjoying batter-fried veggies as pakoras. Among these pakoras, you might have tried onion pakoras. However, let’s take it a step further, try these stuffed onion pakoras, and fill our rainy evening with delicious flavors.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 serves
For the stuffing
- 3 pieces of boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 to 3 green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of coriander
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon of chaat masala
- Salt, to taste
For the batter
- 1 medium cup besan
- 1/2 teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain/cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
Method to Prepare
- Take a large bowl.
- Add potatoes, ginger, garlic, and green chilies.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, garam masala, coriander, chaat masala, and salt.
- Mix everything well.
- Now, take another medium-sized bowl.
- Add besan to it.
- Sprinkle haldi, red chili powder, ajwain, and salt.
- Add water and mix everything.
- Ensure there are no lumps.
- Now, take one small onion.
- Cut it in half.
- Carefully, take out the shells. These shells will be your covers.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a deep-fried pan and heat it over medium flame.
- Take one shell and add the filling.
- Repeat the same process until the filling is finished.
- Close all the fillings with the remaining onion shells.
- Dip these stuffed onions into besan batter.
- Ensure you coat them well.
- Slide these onions simultaneously into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve it with chai or coffee, and enjoy!
MUST CHECK: ALOO TIKKI BURGER RECIPE: THE BEST ALOO TIKKI BURGER RECIPE!
→ When enjoyed especially during rainy evenings, these stuffed pakodas taste heavenly. A hot cup of coffee, slow music, a plate full of this onion pakoda, and rain!
→ You can also serve them as appetizers during gatherings and kitty parties. Slide them before your main dish and give your party a perfect start with these crunchy pakoras.
Fill out the cup with your favorite beverage, fry these stuffed onion pakodas to perfection, and enjoy a hearty snack during the monsoon. Effortless and lip-smacking, do try these pakodas!