A very popular and classic burger recipe introduced by fast food giants McDonald’s to meet and satisfy the Indian vegetarian market – the aloo tikki burger was an instant hit. However, the burger started gaining popularity when street vendors started selling it. People loved its crispy patty made mainly with mashed potatoes and green peas.
This aloo tikki burger recipe will help you recreate the street magic at your home with this simple, easy, and quick aloo tikki burger recipe. All you need are just a handful of ingredients and 25 minutes of your time to grill these delicious burgers.
What is the History of Aloo Tikki Burger?
The year 1998 was very important for burger joint McDonald’s future in India as they introduced McAloo Tikki Burger. Back then, menu localization was not a popular term. However, the recipe for the aloo tikki burger was came into existence and it still enjoys the same fanfare!
Slowly, street vendors started selling with a twist of their own. They enhanced the burger’s taste with a little flavor of the street. The version featured golden crisp potato and peas patties layer on toasted buns and then topped with green chutney, ketchup, cheese, onion, and tomato.
How to Make Aloo Tikki Burger at Home?
This aloo tikki burger recipe is the ultimate veggie burger recipe that will be loved by all. The crunchy patty will combine well with the tangy tomato and mayonnaise and will present you with a tummy-filling and taste bud tantalizing starter. Serve it with cheesy fries and see your kids smile the widest!
The assembly starts with layering mayo and tomato ketchup on lightly toasted buns. Then, we add the classic, crispy potato-peas patty along with some veggies and then topped with cheese to create an ultimate chatpata aloo tikki burger at home.
If you love your burger juicy and saucy then melt cheese slightly on the patty while cooking it in the pan, making it more flavorful and lip-smacking. Also, choose fresh veggies as toppings to add crunch and freshness to your burger.
So, check out the recipe to make the best aloo tikki burger recipe!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 serves
For aloo patties:
- 2 potatoes (boiled & mashed)
- ¼ cup peas / matar (boiled)
- ¼ tsp turmeric / Haldi
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- oil for deep frying
- ¼ tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- ¼ tsp pepper (crushed)
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup thick poha / beaten rice/aval (washed)
For maida paste:
- 3 tbsp maida / plain flour / all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ tsp pepper (crushed)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp eggless mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 4 burger buns
- few lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 onion (rings)
Method to Prepare
- Firstly, take a large mixing bowl and add the ingredients listed under the “For Aloo Patties” section.
- Combine everything and prepare large patties.
- Meanwhile, pour oil into a deep-bottomed pan and heat it over medium heat.
- Now, take a medium-sized bowl and add all the ingredients listed under the “For Maida Paste” section.
- Roll your patty in the bread crumbs and then in the slurry.
- Deep fry the patties in hot oil till they turn golden crisp.
- Now, let’s make the burger sauce.
- Add mayonnaise, tomato sauce, and chili sauce to a bowl. Your burger sauce is ready!
- Take out the fried patties from the pan.
- Now, cut half the burger bun and spread a teaspoon of burger sauce on both sides.
- On the bottom side of the bun, place a few lettuce followed by the fried patties.
- Spread the burger sauce once again and place two slices of tomatoes and a couple of onion rings.
- Cover the burger bun and press gently.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!
A fusion fast food recipe that perfectly combines Indian traditional lip-smacking taste with the sauces of the West! If you are looking for a recipe that can not only satisfy your savory cravings but can also be prepared in no time, serve this Aloo Tikki burger recipe with poutine fries and fill your party and get-together with tantalizing flavors!