If you love pork, then no sandwich can win against this almighty Cubano. Here, roast pork is layered with ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and yellow mustard to make an adjective sandwich. However, when you heat it and grill it, it will become a pressed sandwich like none other.
Here, we will help you with how to make the BEST Cuban sandwich, a.k.a the Cubano, at home without too much effort. The ingredients we have used are readily available in supermarkets. So, you need not worry about going on a hunt for ingredients. Serve it toasted, grilled, hot, or cold – it will taste AWESOME!
Who Invented Cuban Sandwich Recipe?
According to tradition, the Cuban sandwich recipe is believed to have been introduced by the Taino tribe in Cuba. Cuba has a very diverse culture, and thus each group has added its flair and flavors to make this delectable delicacy. Europeans, mainly Spaniards, are credited for including ham and pork in this sandwich recipe.
How to Make Cuban Sandwich Easily at Home?
The Cuban sandwich is all about layers, and each layer greatly enhances the sandwich’s taste. The hero of the sandwich, however, is the two kinds of pork we are using. Layers and layers of smoked ham are paired with thinly sliced pork tenderloin.
Then, it is combined with pickles and mustard to give the sandwich a tangy and tart taste, along with swiss cheese and pork. You will find different versions of this recipe but don’t forget to marinate the roasted pork in a mojo sauce redolent with orange juice, lime juice, garlic, oregano, and cumin.
Stay true to the recipe and make the Cuban version if you can. If not, use high-quality sliced pork, leftover grilled pork, or roasted pork. Combine it with Cochinita pibli tacos to enjoy a full pork meal! Let’s see how you can recreate this delicious Cubano sandwich at home!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 serves
- One loaf of bread of your choice, preferably Cuban
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound sliced cooked ham
- 1 pound sliced roasted pork
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 6 dill pickles, sliced
- Cooking spray for the pan
Method to Prepare
- Gather all the ingredients and heat a griddle to medium heat.
- Then, cut a loaf of bread into quarters and slice each half horizontally.
- Spread the mustard and mayonnaise on the bread.
- Assemble each sandwich by layering ham, sliced pork, cheese, and dill pickles.
- Then, lightly coat the cooking surface of a griddle with cooking spray. Heat it for one minute.
- Now, place the sandwiches on the hot surface. Then, put a clean, heavy skillet on top of the sandwich to flatten it.
- We use a heavy skillet to press the bread down to about 1/3 of its original size. Leave the skillet on top of the sandwich and grill for a couple of minutes.
- For a traditional touch, you can also use a brick wrapped in a foil instead of a skillet.
- After two minutes, lift the skillet, turn the sandwich over and grill on the other side. Place the skillet back on top of the sandwich once again.
- Once the cheese is melted, and the bread is golden brown, your sandwich is ready.
- Slice each sandwich in half diagonally and serve.
Our recipe will bring to your table a crunchy, tangy, salty, creamy, and decadent sandwich that’s a whole, tummy-filling meal in itself. The best thing about this recipe is that you can serve it as hot or cold as you like. So, treat your guests and friends with this scrumptious and tummy-filling sandwich which will be enough to get you a round of applause!