The world knows several ways to fry an egg, from sunny-side-up to over-easy. However, one particular method of frying an egg has been loved by people all over the world! Egg prepared using that method is known as Spanish fried egg, and this method is worth knowing!
Spanish Fried Egg Recipe
The best thing about Spanish Fried Egg is that it has crispy edges that shatter in your mouth. The white part will be as soft as a cloud, and the yolk will be warm and runny like the sun! Salt is enough to make this simple Spanish Fried Egg delicious and one of the most memorable morning meals of your life.
This is the reason why it gets the beloved crispy, lacy edges and a just-set yolk that practically melts as soon as it enters your mouth! Let’s learn how you can make this delicious and easy Spanish Fried Egg recipe!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4 serves
- Eight garlic cloves smashed and skins removed
- 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Four large eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, sliced 1/4-inch thick rounds
- Four fresh thyme sprigs
- crusty bread, cut into slices
Method to Prepare:
- Take a large non-stick skillet and pour a tablespoon of olive oil into it.
- Heat it over medium flame until it shimmers.
- Now, add in garlic and cook until it gets lightly browned, for around five minutes.
- Remove garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Now, stir in the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil, and put the flame on medium-high.
- Now, take a small bowl and crack one of the eggs.
- When oil is warm enough and starts to smoke, tilt the skillet to side the oil in one place and make a pool.
- Delicately, slip the egg into the oil.
- Get a spoonful of oil and pour it over the egg. Cook the whites for around 30 seconds, until the whites are set and the yolk is still running.
- Ensure that the edges of white are browned and crispy.
- Now, meticulously, remove the egg with the help of a spatula and transfer it to a plate.
- Repeat the process with remaining eggs.
- Pour the oil into a bowl and set aside, but do not wipe out the skillet.
- Now, once again, put the skillet on top of the stovetop and turn the flame to medium-high.
- Then add the chorizo, and cook for around 30 seconds until they start to render some oil.
- Now, add in thyme sprigs, stir, and cook for another minute.
- Divide the chorizo and thyme between four plates. Top each with a fried egg.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle the eggs and chorizo with the reserved oil.
- Serve with slices of crusty bread.
There is only one reason to fry an egg in scalding extra virgin olive oil; that is because you will get ultra-crispy and utterly delicious edges! This fried egg recipe is one of the easiest and flavorful. Hence, try this Spanish Fried Egg recipe at your home and infuse your morning meal with Spanish flavors.