With this easy recipe, you will be able to learn how you can make indulgent steamed veg momos or vegetable Dim Sum at home. Our step-by-step guide will help you make the most traditional version of the Tibetian version of the steamed veg momos.
Veg momos are very popular among the Newar community present in Kathmandu, Nepal. According to food historians, traveling Nepali merchants took the recipe of the momos from Tibet where the Nepali Newar merchants used to travel for trade, and brought it back home to Nepal.
How to Make Veg Momos at Home Easily?
This momos recipe is simple and easy and can provide you with a healthy snack recipe that can be whipped in just half an hour from scratch. It is a plain flour-based dumpling steamed with the filling of cabbage, carrot, and spring onions. Our veg momos recipe is an absolute delight if you are a big fan of this famous street food.
With this recipe, you will be able to get the authentic taste of the actual Tibetan momos, right in the comfort of your home! Additionally, these momos are packed with healthy veggies like carrots, cabbage, and onions.
So, if you are looking for a perfect homemade vegetarian snack to serve to your family then this veg momos recipe can be perfect for you. If you are not a big fan of veggies, you can also try chicken momos as well. Since this dish is a favorite dish of many people, it is a perfect recipe to make at home.
So, let’s see how you can make these veg momos at home!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 serves
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 12 pieces of mushroom morel
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 500 gm cabbage
- 500 gm tofu
- 2-inch ginger
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium onion
Method to Prepare
- To make this exotic delight, prepare the veggie filling. For that, finely chop onion, garlic, ginger, mushroom, tofu, cabbage, and cilantro.
- Once everything is done. Mix them thoroughly in a bowl and add soy sauce to the bowl. Toss the veggies well to combine them thoroughly and keep them aside.
- Now, let’s prepare the dough for the momos. Take a bowl and add all-purpose flour and water and mix together to form a smooth dough. Cover the dough and keep it aside.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and roll it into a thin sheet of dough. Do not roll it too thin. Cut small circles from this sheet of dough.
- Now, fill the center of each of these circles with the veggie fillings we prepared earlier. Once done, start making small folds using your thumbs and forefinger.
- Lift the sides of the circle and seal them together with the help of a little water. Ensure your momos are properly sealed.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a steamer and once the water is boiled, add momos to the steamer.
- Let them steam for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, take them out.
- Serve the veg momos with your favorite dip or chutney and enjoy!
If you are someone who’s cautious about buying food from the outside due to health and hygiene reasons, then you need not worry anymore! This veg momo recipe will help you make the most delicious momos at home. Prepare these scrumptious delights at home and save pennies while surprising your kids and family and be assured that they will say goodbye to the momos from outside for good.