If you thought that pies are only a sweet dish and you can’t add flavor or modify pie than you have never tried Shepherd’s Pie recipe. It is a combination of ground lamb and different herbs with vegetables added in it to make it healthier and tastier.
This dish hails from the shores of England and it has all the richness and taste of English culture in it. In England, Shepherd’s pie is made from ground lamb, and in the US, people make it using beef. But the most delicious and loved thing about this dish is its mashed potato filling.
If you want to make this dish healthy and car-free then you can use mashed cauliflowers instead of potatoes and make it healthy and nutritious!
Delicious Shepherd’s pie recipe
- Prep time: 45 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 8 servings
For the potatoes:
- 1 ½ pound of potatoes
- ¼ cup half and half
- 2-ounces of unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
For the Meat filling:
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon of freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped thyme leaves
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup English peas
Method to Prepare:
- First of all, peel the potatoes and cut them into ½ inch dice and place them in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Take the saucepan to boil and boil it on high heat and cover it. Once boiling, uncover and decrease the heat and cook them until tender and can be crushed easily with tongs.
- Now, place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat it for 30 seconds.
- Drain the potatoes and add them into the saucepan again and mash the potatoes.
- Add half-and-half, butter, salt, and pepper and continue to mash until it is smooth. Once it is smooth, add yolk and stir until combined.
- Now, preheat your own to 400 degrees F and start preparing the filling while potatoes are cooking on the heat.
- Stir canola oil in a sauté pan and set over medium-high heat and add onions and carrots once oil simmers.
- Cook onion and carrots until and sauté them until they take on color and add garlic into it and stir well to combine them.
- Now, add lamb, salt, and pepper and cook it until browned and cooked through, for about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss it to coat well and continue cooking it for one more minute.
- Now, add tomato paste, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and chicken broth; stir well to combine them.
- Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover and simmer it for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add corn and peas into lamb mixture and spread it into a glass baking dish.
- Top it up with mashed potatoes, starting from the corner and smooth it with a rubber spatula.
- Bake it until potatoes become brown or for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes before serving and enjoy it with your family!
You can make this awesome and delightful dish if you are having a party or a simple get-together between your family members. It is very easy to make and taste darn delicious with mashed potatoes full with flavors and lamb filled with different sauces and a touch of thyme gives it a refreshing and unique taste!