Are you bored of eating mundane sweet dishes? Do you want to enjoy a sweet delicacy that is filled with high sugar contents and rich condensed milk? If yes, then we have a perfect recipe for you! This Scottish tablet is extremely sugary candy with a coarse texture to give you a perfect sweet to feast on after your meal.
Talking about the history of this sweet Scottish tablet, the recipe goes back to at least the early 1700s. A book from this time, “The Household Book of Lady Grisell Baillie” mentioned its recipe. During that time, the Scottish tablet recipe used sugar and cream.
How to Make a Scottish Tablet at Home?
Making this delicious tablet at home traditionally will take time, but it’s so worth mastering! The Scottish tablet recipe is so drool-worthy and delightful that you will forget about your diet. With this recipe, you will be able to make incredibly sweet, crumbly, and melt-in-your-mouth tablets.
So, if you have searched online and feel like it is so hard to make these tablets then need not worry. Just follow our tablet recipe closely and handle the hot sugar mixture carefully. You will be able to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth with this classic recipe!
So, let’s see how you can make this Scottish tablet at home easily.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 serves
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup butter, chopped into pieces
- 4 pounds sugar, superfine or caster
- 1 pound sweetened condensed milk
- Flavorings like vanilla extract or whisky, optional
Method to Prepare
- Firstly, butter a 7-inch square tin. Then, take a large deep pan and heat milk on it over low flame.
- Add butter to the pan and stir until melted and well combined with milk.
- Then, add sugar and stir until it dissolves in the mixture. Increase the flame to high and bring the milk mixture to a hard boil for 5 minutes.
- You need to keep stirring all the time to prevent the sugar from sticking to the edges of the pan. Take out the candy thermometer and wait for the temperature to reach 250F.
- Once it is there, carefully add condensed milk to the pan. Stir well and lower the flame, simmer for 20 minutes.
- The mixture will bubble and look like a moon crater. Keep cooking as the mixture will also start to change color and become slightly dark.
- Once the mixture has thickened visibly, remove the pan from the heat and placate it on a kitchen towel to add stability.
- Beat the mixture vigorously for 10 minutes. You can use an electric mixer.
- Add flavoring if you want.
- Then, pour the mixture into the greased pan and spread it out flat using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- When the tablet is cool but still soft, cut it into 1-inch squares and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, wrap the tablet pieces in a greaseproof wrapper and serve it.
Must Check: Poutine Recipe: Delicious and Authentic Canadian Recipe!
This Scottish tablet recipe is easy and can be made quickly. Instead of following other complicated recipes, try our effortless recipe and make flavorsome and soft Scottish tablets at home. Enjoy a sugary, succulent dessert with your family!