The crown of India is not just famous for its beautiful valleys and mesmerizing lakes; the food from the valley is as beautiful as its mountains. The Kashmiri food is quite delicious and tasty that everyone just loves to eat it!
Rogan Josh is a similar dish that brings the taste and flavors of Kashmir to your house. It is a very easy dish to make and it needs almost no time to get ready. In an hour, you have a dish directly from the Kashmir on your dining table!
Rogan Josh recipe
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 6 servings
- 1 kg of meat
- 1 cup of mustard/refined oil
- 3 teaspoons of red chili powder
- 3 teaspoons of fennel powder
- 2 teaspoons of ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 3 teaspoons of brown cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon of asafetida
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1/3 teaspoon of saffron, optional
- 1 cup of curd
- A pinch of salt
Method to prepare:
- First of all, wash meat properly and heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Now, put cinnamon, bay leaves, green cardamom, cloves, a teaspoon of salt, asafetida, and meat together.
- Fry meat until it is brown. Once it is properly fried, add a cup of water in it.
- Now, add red chili powder and saffron in the meat if you are using it and then keep stirring it for about a minute.
- Mix the curd thoroughly in the mixer and pour it into the pressure cooker. Don’t forget to stir until you get a reddish tinge.
- Add 2 cups of water, fennel powder, and ginger powder in the pressure cooker and cook it for 2 more minutes.
- Check whether the meat is tender or not. Discard the cover of the cardamom and add it to the dish to give it a fresh flavor.
- Finally, sprinkle cumin powder and simmer it for another one minute before serving.
Serve this Rogan Josh recipe like it traditionally served in Kashmir; with rice or with either Naan or Garlic Naan. This dish full of flavors and will provide you with a change in your meat menu with the traditional taste of Kashmir. Try this unique and traditional dish and bring some beautiful Kashmir in your home!