For chicken lovers, there is another chicken recipe with some hot and wonderful taste. If you love dry roast chicken, you must not miss this wonderful Pepper chicken recipe prepared in Kerala style using some hot spices. Moreover, it is a perfect dish to be enjoyed with rice or chapati (Indian bread).
Kerala Style pepper chicken, known as kurumulaku chicken, can become your favorite dry chicken recipe that you will love to enjoy every weekend. It is not only an easy and quick chicken recipe but also satisfies your craving for eating something spicy and tasteful. Though this Kerala style pepper chicken recipe is a bit spicy, you have an option to lower its spiciness by adding fewer peppercorns to suit your taste.
You can use boneless or bone-in chicken as per your choice or whatever your family loves the most. It is also recommended to use iron Kadai if you have because the roasting chicken in iron Kadai is quite faster and gives a great flavor to the recipe. But, not to worry if you don’t have it, you can use the non-stick skillet as well.
Let’s start preparing this spicy pepper chicken recipe in Kerala style.
Pepper Chicken Recipe
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 3-4
- 700-800 grams of chicken
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 green chilies and cut them
- 1 and a half-inch of ginger
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- Half teaspoon of Kashmiri chili powder
- Half teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Half teaspoon of black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon of white black peppercorns
- Half teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of curry leaves
- Salt as per your taste
- Lemon juice of a half lemon
Method to Prepare:
- Take a large bowl and add pieces of chicken in it. Now, add half teaspoon of turmeric powder, half teaspoon of black pepper powder, half teaspoon of salt, and lemon juice. Mix all well and let the chicken marinate for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, take whole peppercorns and fennel seeds and grind both ingredients to make a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Now, take a large saucepan or kadai and heat coconut oil over medium heat. After this, sauté sliced onions and green chilies on medium heat until onions turn little brown, for around 3-4 minutes.
- Now, add the chopped ginger and garlic in the pan and stir well for 1-2 minutes. Next, you have to add Kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and the remaining half teaspoon of turmeric powder. Mix everything properly and check if more salt is required.
- Now, add this mixture of onions and spices in the marinated chicken and mix everything properly so that all spices get coated evenly on the chicken pieces. Add coconut vinegar and mix it with the chicken and cover the pan with a lid. Cook it for 5 minutes and make sure there is no water in this chicken. If there is some water, let it evaporate by turning the heat to high flames.
- Once it is done properly, add the grinded powder of pepper and fennel seeds and mix this powder well with the cooked chicken.
- Now, let the chicken dry roast by cooking it for another 5 minutes on low heat, or until it turns dark brown. Stir it continuously to avoid sticking it to the bottom of the pan.
- After it is completely cooked, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of curry leaves and mix them well.
- Now, your Kerala style pepper chicken is ready to serve with rice.
- If you can’t take too hot of pepper, you can use one tablespoon of white black peppercorns instead of two.
- If you don’t have vinegar at home, no worries, you can substitute it with one tomato.
- It is advised not to skip the last step i.e. adding curry leaves at the end of the recipe, it gives an ultimate flavor to your chicken.
This Kerala Style Pepper Chicken Recipe is easier to prepare if you follow the steps carefully. Moreover, to enjoy the real flavor of this amazing chicken recipe, make sure not to miss any ingredients mentioned here. It can be a favorite meal of the day of your whole family, so you must try it.