Wany of you might be familiar with Indian Gulab jamun, maybe the favorite sweet of many of you. Let’s have something special from the middle east to satisfy your sweet craving after lunch or dinner. No matter what festival or occasion there is, it is incomplete without trying any dessert and for the dessert you can try out this delicious lokaymat recipe.
Lokaymat recipe is everyone’s favorite sweet dish who has tried them once; you can never stop at one or two. Crunchy from the outside and soft and fluffy from inside makes it a delicious dessert to be enjoyed anytime and on any occasion. Moreover, it is a popular dessert that can be seen mostly in the Middle East, especially during Ramadan. These simple round sweet dumplings have various names, such as awamaat, loqmat al qadi, luqaimat and zalabya.
It is not about Ramadan, you can enjoy it anytime you want by preparing them at home using this wonderful Lokaymat recipe. These little gems are perfect to enjoy quality time with your family; you can prepare them on any occasion. You can flavor the syrup in many ways, simply use your favorite flavor in syrup and relish these dumplings in something you like the most.
To start the Lokaymat recipe, let’s collect these ingredients in one place and make dozens of round sweet dumplings as the perfect dessert for all festivals or occasions.
- Prep time: 2 hours
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- 1 and a half cup of all-purpose flour
- Half tablespoon of white sugar
- Half tablespoon of dry yeast
- Half cup of warm water
- Half cup of plain yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons of chopped nuts as per your choice
- Oil for frying
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 and a half cup of water
- 1 and a half teaspoon of lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons of honey
- Half teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Cinnamon stick
- Half teaspoon of orange blossom water
For Chocolate syrup
- 4 ounces of chocolate
- One and a half teaspoon of corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Half cup of heavy cream
For cinnamon sugar
- One-fourth cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
Method to Prepare:
Make the dough
- Take a large bowl and add all-purpose flour, white sugar, and dry yeast and combine all ingredients well.
- Now, take a stand mixer jar and transfer this flour mixture into it. It’s time to make the dough, add water until you get a hard dough. If you find that dough is too hard, you can add another tablespoon of water to make a smooth and soft dough.
- Cover it with a lid or muslin cloth and let it sit for almost 30-40 minutes.
Make the syrup
- Take a saucepan and add sugar, water, lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon stick, and orange blossom water. Stir everything properly.
- Now, bring these ingredients to boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for around 10 minutes. Once it is done, keep this saucepan aside and let it cool completely.
Make the chocolate syrup
- Take a medium bowl and add chocolate and corn syrup.
- Now, take a saucepan, add sugar and heavy cream, stir them until sugar dissolves, and after this, heat this mixture until you see some bubbles at the edges.
- Now, pout this cream mixture in the bowl of chocolate and corn syrup and combine everything well. Keep this mixture aside.
Finish the dough
- Now, check the dough after 30-40 minutes, uncover it and add yogurt and mix it perfectly using the flat beater until the dough is kneaded completely.
- Again cover it and let the dough rise for around 1 hour at room temperature or you can place it in the refrigerator for around 24 hours to let it rise.
Fry the dumplings
- Take a deep pan and heat oil over medium-high heat to fry the dumplings.
- Once the oil is heated, reduce the heat to medium and start frying the dumplings of the dough.
- Make small balls of the dough and drop them in the hot oil. Make sure that the size of the dumplings should be such that they can easily be dipped in oil.
- Now, raise the heat from medium to high and fry the balls until they turn golden brown. After this, take out the dumplings and dip them in the simple syrup (not the chocolate syrup). Stir them so that dumplings get entirely coated with syrup.
- Let them sit in the syrup for 5 minutes. Take them out of the syrup bowl and roll them in cinnamon sugar or chocolate syrup, whatever you want, or whatever your family loves to eat.
- Garnish them with chopped nuts over the dumplings and serve them hot.
The more you fry these dumplings, the crispier they come out to be. So, it is advised to fry 2-3 balls in the beginning and go with others accordingly for the desired color.
Whenever there is a gathering of your friends or relatives at your home to celebrate something special, why not treat them with these yummy dumplings? No matter whenever you serve this Lokaymat recipe, they always end with the demand for ‘More’. All great and delicious!