Have you ever imagined a recipe that you would love even before trying it? The recipe is so delicious that you feel hungry just by looking at it. Yes, we are talking about the Italian Baked Eggs. This recipe can be made in just 10 minutes and provide you with a complete and cheesy breakfast.
Also famous as – Eggs in purgatory (aka uova in Purgatorio) is an Italian breakfast recipe that involves baked eggs and tomato sauce.
It is the perfect recipe for you if you are looking for a delicious yet healthy dish for brunch. Gather a handful of ingredients, and you will have a low-calorie, gluten-free, budget-friendly, meat-free dish for your morning meal!
Delicious and Flavorful Italian Baked Eggs Recipe!
This Italian baked eggs recipe is best for weekend family breakfast sessions. It is delicious and cooked in truly lip-smacking tomato sauce. The picturesque sunny-side-up eggs baked on a bed of marinara, milk, and cheese will provide you with something amazingly delicious. Serve these eggs with garlic bread and enjoy a total dose of Italian flair.
The best thing about this recipe is that it is amazingly colorful and attractive to look at. While this recipe also boasts a mesmerizing aroma of marinara sauce that will fill your home with a delicious smell. This recipe is simple and easy yet full of unique flavors – no wonder why it is one of the best options for brunch.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 serves
- One baguette halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces low-moisture mozzarella, sliced into eight pieces
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- Three garlic cloves, chopped
- One 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh oregano, plus more for serving
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- Four large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Method to Prepare
- First, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Then, place the baguette slices on the baking sheet, brush them with oil, and top each with the mozzarella pieces.
- Bake the bread until the cheese bubbles and turn into light golden brown for around 13 minutes.
- While your baguette is in the oven, heat a large ovenproof non-stick skillet over medium-high flame.
- Add sausage to the heated skillet and cook. Stir and break it apart with the help of a wooden spoon. Cook it for around 5 minutes.
- Now, add onion, garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Gradually stir in the tomatoes, oregano, and sprinkle salt.
- Bring this sauce to simmer and cook for around 3 minutes. Your sauce will be slightly thick.
- Now, reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Take and break the eggs into the prepared sauce. Make sure you leave space between them.
- Sprinkle eggs with black pepper.
- Slide this non-stick pan to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set but yolks are still soft, for around 10 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and garnish it with oregano.
- Serve it warm with the mozzarella toast, and enjoy!
Prepare the toast as it will help you enjoy this dish furthermore and allow you to soak up all of the delicious egg yolk and yummy marinara. It is a beautiful and delectable dish for brunch, breakfast, or dinner – Italian Baked Eggs are a must-try recipe because of their mesmerizing aroma and flavors!