You have visited Hyderabad, and the aromatic haleem is still in your mind, right? Well, we won’t blame you because haleem is one of the most mesmerizing treats you can come across! Full of flavors and spell-bounding aroma – haleem is one non-veg recipe that is irresistible.
So, have you ever tried making this recipe? If not, then this is the right time because we are here with the easiest haleem recipe. Now, you can mimic the Hydrabadi haleem with the help of this instant pot haleem recipe.
This easy Haleem recipe is the real deal – authentic, full of traditional flavors, and homemade! No more need to spend hours over the stove as this easy haleem recipe will need only 30 minutes of initial prep time. If haleem tends to intimidate you, then try this easy homemade haleem recipe!
How to Make Instant Pot Haleem Recipe?
Let’s see how you can make this delicious haleem recipe at home!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 6 serves
Lentils and Rice
- 0.5 cup chana dal, yellow split peas
- 0.5 cup maash dal, split urad lentils
- 2 tbsp masoor dal, red split lentils
- 2 tbsp split moong dal, yellow lentils
- 2 tbsp basmati rice
- 2-4 bay leaves
- 1.5-2 black cardamom
- 2-4 inch cinnamon stick
- 1.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-4 green cardamom pods, whole or powdered
- 5-6 cloves leave whole or powdered
For the Instant Pot
- 2 small onions or one large, cut into eighths
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1.5-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 0.5 cup neutral canola oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1.5 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 – 1 ½ inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1.5-2 green chili peppers, stems removed
- 1.5 tbsp of store-bought haleem masala powder,
- 1.5-2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp table salt or sea salt,
- 2 tbsp whole milk yogurt
- 4 cups water
- 0.5 cup rolled oats or sub instant oats
- 0.5 tsp garam masala or chaat masala
- 0.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1.5 inch ginger, julienned
- 1.5-2 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1.5 lemon or lime, cut into wedges
- HOMEMADE garam masala
Method to Prepare:
- Take a medium bowl and combine lentils and rice in it. Rinse them a few times.
- Now, pour warm water in the bowl and soak both of them, and set them aside.
- Place the onion, garlic, and ginger in a food processor and pulse to chop finely.
- Now, start the instant pot and turn on the Sauté mode, and set it to More.
- Once the pot is heated, pour oil, ghee, and add chopped onion in it.
- Sauté them for around 12 minutes until the onions are golden in color.
- Meanwhile, add all the spices that are included under Whole Spices.
- Now, add in the meat and sauté until the color of the meat changes, for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add in chopped tomatoes and green chilies and pulse them in the food processor. Set aside.
- Add the haleem masala, red chili flakes, turmeric, salt, and then sauté for around 30 seconds.
- Now, pour in the chopped tomato mixture and yogurt with 3 cups of water.
- Now, drain the soaked rice and lentils and add them into the instant pot.
- Mix well to combine. Turn off the Sauté.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Turn on the meat/stew setting and put the pressure time to 50 minutes.
- Once done, allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 5 minutes. Then do it manually.
- Now, with the help of a tong, remove the beef pieces from the instant pot and add them into the food processor.
- Get rid of all the prominent whole spices such as the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, etc., as they come up.
- Now, pulse the beef until it is just shredded and stringy. Ensure that you don’t make it smooth.
- Now, blend the dal with the help of an immersion blender. Once again, turn on the instant pot, put it on to Sauté mode, and set to Less.
- Then, add shredded chicken and rolled oats. Give it a good stir.
- Sauté them for at least 5 minutes.
- Once the haleem starts bubbling, turn off the Sauté mode and close it with a lid.
- Turn on the Slow Cook mode and set it to More.
- Now, let it cook, stirring from time to time, for around 35 minutes.
- Once you achieve a laced consistency, your haleem recipe is done. If there is too much thickness, you can add 1/2-1 cup boiling water and continue to stir.
- Finally, add garam masala and black pepper, and give it a good stir.
- Serve it in a bowl and garnish it with cilantro, ginger, green chile peppers, and lime wedges.
Haleem is one of the most challenging dishes to make at home. However, with the help of this instant pot haleem recipe, you will be able to make this delicious delicacy at your home without any difficulties. Try this recipe and enjoy its unique flavors at your home!