Are you looking for a recipe that is not only delicious to eat but can be cooked in just 5 minutes? If yes, then you must try this recipe. This hot brown recipe is an open sandwich piled with crispy bacon and smothered in cheese sauce. So delicious that it will be hard to say no to this dish!
Talking about the history of this recipe, it was invented in 1926 at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentuck, by Fred Schmidt. This open-faced turkey sandwich, smeared in Mornay sauce and topped with cooked bacon was served to customers at late-night dances while the band was on its break.
How to Make the Traditional Kentucky Hot Brown Recipe?
This delicious and open-faced sandwich will start with thick sliced bread toasted and loaded with thinly sliced turkey, tomato, and a creamy mornay sauce. Then, it is broiled until the sauce is browned in spots and topped with crispy bacon slices to provide you with a decadent crunch!
This authentic Kentucky hot brown is indulgence personified. It is the perfect party recipe as the bacon provides the crispness, the cheese sauce will add creaminess, and you will get a little tang from the lightly broiled tomato. Drizzle some extra sauce and pair it with a simple garden salad to balance out all the richness!
However, you need to keep one thing in mind while broiling this sandwich. DO NOT use glass bakeware when broiling or when the recipe instructs you to add liquid to a hot pan, as glass may explode. Even if it indicates that it is oven-safe or heat resistant, tempered glass products are prone to break occasionally.
We have used a combination of parmesan and cheddar cheese. So, let’s see how you can make this delicious breakfast recipe at home!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons unsalted utter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 slices toast, crusts removed
- 1 pound deli turkey, or leftover turkey, thinly sliced
- 4 slices tomato, more if small
- 8 strips bacon, crisply cooked and drained
Method to Prepare
- Gather all the ingredients and melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low flame. Then, add the flour and stir until smooth and bubbly.
- Then, add milk, salt, Worcestershire sauce, cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup parmesan. Keep cooking, stirring continuously, until thick and bubbly. Your cheese sauce is ready!
- Now, cut the trimmed toasted bread in half diagonally and place it on a baking sheet.
- Put turkey slices on the toasted bread and cover it with hot cheese sauce.
- Top these open sandwiches with tomato slices and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan evenly over them.
- Place them under the broiler until the sandwiches are hot, bubbly and lightly brown.
- Then, top each sandwich with two strips of crispy bacon, placed in the shape of “X.”
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking for a recipe that is infused with lip-smacking flavors and is pretty easy to make? If yes, then this Kentucky-special hot brown recipe is perfect for you. Crispy bacon, crunchy bread, and delicious cheese sauce will present you with a relishing dish. So, try it to fill your meals with delectable flavors.