Garam masala is known as the king of all masala in Indian households. If you want to make a tasty dish you just need to add garam masala in it. No matter what flavor you want to give to your dish, garam masala will do its work with utmost dedication! what if we can make garam masala recipe at home?
It is very easy and simple to make it at your home. With homemade garam masala, you will be sure of its quality and you can add and customize your garam masala according to your taste. The king of masala is easy to make and delicious to add!
Garam Masala Recipe
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 1 cup
- ½ cup coriander seeds
- ½ cup cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of green cardamoms
- 2 tablespoons of cloves
- 1 tablespoon of peppercorns
- 6 to 8 pieces of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- ½ small nutmeg
- 1 star anise
- 2 to 4 black cardamoms
- 3 strands mace
- 4 medium dried bay leaves
Method to Prepare:
- Clean the bay leaf and inner part of the cinnamon stick with a dry or damp cloth to remove all the dirt. Break open the nutmeg and check for worms.
- Carefully pick and discard all the stones and debris from the spices.
- Take a pan and heat cardamoms, bay leaf, star anise, nutmeg, mace, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper.
- Roast them on a low-medium heat until they smell good and make sure you don’t burn them and transfer them to a plate.
- Now heat coriander seeds and roast them as well until they smell nice and transfer them to a plate as well.
- Add cumin seeds and roast them for 30 seconds and then add cumin and roast until they smell good.
- Transfer them all to a wide plate and let them cool thoroughly.
- Now, use a blender and add all the spices and powder finely.
- Filter and powder the coarse spices again and then again sieve.
- Boom! Your garam masala is ready and now store it in an air-tight jar which is sun-dried.
Your garam masala is ready to make your food spicy and flavorful. Just open the jar and add this homemade garam masala to give your recipe a much-needed spiciness and flavor!