A hot cup of soup full of onions, cheese, and beef stock- sounds perfect for a chilly and cold winter morning, isn’t it? Well, that is the beauty of French onion soup as it will keep you warm and let you enjoy a nutritious soup on a cold winter morning.
After testing and trying this awesome soup in restaurants for so many years, it is time to create this delicious soup at home. It is simple, it is simple and it is French loaded with cheese!
Classic French Onion Soup
This classic French onion soup only requires a few simple ingredients and gets prepared in an hour you just have to follow these simple steps and your healthy French Onion soup will be ready to enjoy!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 4 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups of sliced onions
- 10-ounces of beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of French bread
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 2 slices of Swiss cheese, diced
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Method to Prepare:
- First of all, get butter and melt it with olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Now, add the main ingredient of the recipe, onions and stir until they become tender and shiny.
- Make sure you don’t brown the onions as it will kill all the taste and will ruin your soup.
- Add beef broth, thyme, and sherry and season it with salt and pepper and simmer it for 30 minutes.
- Now, heat the oven broiler and ladle the soup into oven-safe serving bowls and place a slice of French bread on each serving bowl.
- Layer each slice of bread with provolone, Swiss, and parmesan cheese without worrying about the calories.
- Place them in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles on the surface and become golden slightly.
- Serve it hot and enjoy the cheese and fragrant onions to tackle the cold wave of the winter!
- Calories: 585kcal
- Total Fat: 44g
- Protein: 21g
- Carbs: 29g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
Must Read – Garlic Soup Recipe- An extra immune boost
This awesome and delicious soup is a must-try in chilly weather and if you are a big fan of onions then you are surely going to like this cheese-rich soup with a loaf of French bread and smiling faces all around you!