Let us introduce your soon-to-be new favorite potato recipe – buttery, crispy, and delicious to eat Crispy Smashed Potatoes! Here, potatoes will be crazy crispy on the outside and fluffy, and creamy on the inside, and there’s a huge risk that only half of these will make it to the dinner table!
According to historians, the actual recipe for mashed potatoes originated in 1771 when a French man, Antoine Parmentier, organized a competition on different ways to make potatoes. However, other sources say that it was the English who came up with the idea of mashed potatoes and gravy in the 1600s.
How to Make Ultra Crispy Smashed Potatoes at Home?
Be it brunch or dinner, smashed potatoes are real fun. They’re also perfect any time you get cravings for crispy potatoes but want something happening and more redeeming than French fries. They are not only great alone as you can also pair them with hearty salads and can consume them when having a salad-for-dinner party!
This crispy smashed potato recipe is everything a potato recipe should be – satisfying crispiness combined deliciously with the creamy perfection on the inside. Additionally, this recipe is easy – nothing fussy or complicated!
Plus, you can make them for any occasion as people are just going to love them as the perfect side recipe to go with their mains. Drizzle with your favorite sauce and you can make a perfect game-day snack!
So, let’s see how you can make this evergreen and versatile recipe at home easily!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 side serves
- 2 pounds of small-to-medium potatoes, scrubbed and washed
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnishing
Method to Prepare
- Firstly, place the prepared potatoes in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Pour water until the potatoes are submerged and covered with 1-inch of additional water.
- Now, add one tablespoon of salt and bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high flame.
- Keep boiling them until the potatoes are easy to pierce through by a fork.
- For smaller potatoes, it will take 20 minutes, and for medium potatoes, boil for 25 minutes.
- While your potatoes are getting boiled, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Ensure that you brush the oil evenly all over the sheet for perfect baking. Once potatoes are done, drain them in a large colander and let them cool for 15 minutes.
- Once they’re safe to handle, evenly distribute the potatoes over the prepared baking sheet.
- Now, take a potato masher or fork and gently smash each potato. The thinner the potato, the crispier it is!
- Once smashed, drizzle the remaining three tablespoons of olive oil over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, freshly ground black pepper powder, and the remaining salt.
- Slide the baking sheet inside the oven and bake the potatoes until they are nice and golden around the edges, for half an hour.
- Once done, take the sheet out, sprinkle with chopped herbs and serve hot.
Along with the ever-delicious potato dauphinoise, these crispy smashed potatoes can be the next staple recipe for your party nights! The best thing about this recipe is that it is easy to whip and delicious to eat. Try this crispy yet creamy smashed potato recipe for the delicious starchy side dish you need on your table ASAP!