Imagine a plate full of tender chicken pieces leaving a mesmerizing aroma and pulling you towards itself! Well, this can become true if you try this easy and delicious chicken tikka masala recipe. This recipe will help you to make the best chicken tikka masala at home easily.
Before we see the recipe, let’s see some history of this dish. The origins of chicken tikka masala are debated. Some people say that it was invented in the 1970s by a Bangladeshi chef, in Glasgow, Scotland. According to some food historians, chicken tikka masala is the first widely accepted example of fusion cuisine.
The Best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe for You!
The word tikka suggests chunks, pieces, or bites. Hence, in chicken tikka masala, you will be adding pre-marinated chunks of chicken to a rich, thick, and creamy gravy. The result will be a dish full of lovely, smokey flavor chicken tikka masala.
This chicken tikka masala recipe is rich, creamy, and can rival any Indian restaurant! So, why go out or order online when you can make this chicken curry recipe better at home. Here, the golden chicken pieces will be bathed in an incredible curry sauce, providing you with lip-smacking flavors!
Pair it off with our homemade butter garlic naan and you will have a meal that is magnificent!
Instead of using chicken breast, go for chicken thighs. Marinating chicken thighs in an aromatic spiced yogurt marinade will present you with a juicy and succulent dish. The reason behind using chicken thighs is that they are juicier than chicken breast. So, let’s see how you can make this delicious recipe at home!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 5 serves
For the chicken marinade:
- 800g chicken, boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions finely diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic finely grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger finely grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 400g tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup water if needed
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro or coriander to garnish
Method to Prepare
- Take a bowl and combine chicken with all the ingredients listed under the chicken marinade section.
- Coat it evenly and keep it aside. Let the chicken marinate for around 10 minutes or overnight if time allows.
- Put a large skillet over a medium-high flame and heat oil in it. Once the oil sizzles, add the marinated chicken pieces in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Fry the chicken pieces for around 3 minutes, until browned on each side. Set them aside and keep warm.
- Melt butter in the same pan and fry onions until soft, for 3 minutes. Ensure you scrap up any browned bits of chicken stuck on the bottom of the pan.
- Then, add garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute until fragrant. Then, add garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and coriander.
- Fry everything for about 20 seconds, while stirring occasionally.
- Now, pour the tomato puree, chili powder, and salt. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and changes the color to a deep brown-red color.
- Then, stir in the cream and sugar through the sauce.
- Add the roasted chicken chunks and their juices back into the pan. Cook everything for an additional 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Bring everything to a simmer until the sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Add some water if you thin out the sauce if required.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl, garnish it with cilantro, and serve it with fresh homemade Naan bread!
This chicken tikka masala recipe is a creamy and easy dish that you can make right at home in just one pan with simple ingredients. The best thing about this recipe is that it is full of incredible flavors and you can make it easily on a lazy night to add flavors to your blend dinner plans.