Are you a great lover of Indian food? Do you love trying a variety of chicken recipes? If yes, then you must not ignore trying this amazing chicken curry recipe. It tastes just as good as you have ever eaten at an Indian restaurant or at your Indian friend’s home. Moreover, it is quite easy to make as well.
Now, you need not order your favorite chicken curry from a restaurant, especially when you can make it easily at home. You will really be happy with the end result.
All thanks to the Indian spices that add more flavor to this rich and creamy Indian dish. You will feel amazingly hearty when you eat this chicken curry with basmati rice or naan (Indian bread).
This is a family-friendly chicken curry recipe that contains thinly sliced chicken breasts sautéed with spices and simmered to get the thick curry sauce with Greek yogurt.
It is not just a perfect weeknight curry but is also a great dish to serve when throwing a party having Indian dishes on the menu. You need not worry if you are not a spice lover, because even after adding Indian spices to make the curry, it is not spicy at all. You will enjoy the aromas and flavors of these spices to the fullest.
Let’s start making this recipe and enjoy the aromas of Indian spices, a delight to the senses!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
For curry powder
- One and a half teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- Half teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds, crushed
- Half teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Half teaspoon of black pepper
- One-fourth teaspoon of mustard powder
- One-fourth teaspoon of cloves powder
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 4-5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Three-fourth cup of diced tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- One and a half pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into medium cubes
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons of water (optional)
- One-third cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
Method to Prepare:
- Take a small bowl and add all spices to make a curry powder – coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric, crushed fennel seeds, cinnamon powder, black pepper, mustard powder, and cloves powder. Mix all these spices well and keep a bowl aside
- Now, take a skillet and heat olive oil or any vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Then, add chopped onion and sauté them for 4-5 minutes or until they turn slightly golden brown.
- After this, add minced garlic and ginger, and sauté them too for another 30-40 seconds. Then, you have to add the curry powder and sauté all ingredients for around 30 seconds.
- Then, add chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover the skillet with a lid and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Now, take a food processor or mixer, and pour this cooked mixture into it. Cover it and blend it to make a smooth puree.
- Once you get a well-pureed paste, pour it into a skillet again and heat it over medium to high heat.
- Then, add some salt to taste and cayenne powder (like a half teaspoon of salt) and also adds chicken breasts at this step.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid. Now, you have to cook it until the chicken breasts are cooked through or around 8-10 minutes. Don’t forget to stir the curry occasionally.
- In the last, you can add the cornstarch and water mixture, if required, to make a slightly thick sauce.
- Then add heavy cream and stir, Garnish the chicken curry with chopped cilantro.
- How much thick curry you want depends on you, you can add more chicken broth or water if you want thin curry or can also avoid using cornstarch and water mixture.
- You can store the cooked curry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- You can also use chicken thighs to make this chicken curry recipe. For this, you have to increase the cooking time, because chicken thighs take a little longer time to cook than the chicken breasts.
Nutritional Value (per serving):
- Calories – 362kcal
- Carbohydrates – 7g
- Fat – 19g
- Protein – 38g
- Cholesterol – 136mg
- Fiber – 1g
This chicken curry recipe is a rich, creamy, and aromatic Indian dish that will be loved by your entire family. It is a perfect dish to be prepared and enjoyed on a busy weeknight. You can serve it with rice and homemade garlic naan and prepare a complete Indian meal!