One of the spiciest and most delicious chicken delicacies of South Indian cuisine, chicken 65 is a mouthwatering delight for meat lovers. You can enjoy this dish on any occasion. Also, it is super easy to cook. So, if you are wondering how you can make this delicacy at home, here is the detailed recipe for Chicken 65 for you.
According to history, chicken 65 was actually invented in the state of Tamil Nadu by A.M. Buhari in 1965. The dish was part of the menu of the Buhari Hotel, which also had various versions like Chicken 78, Chicken 82, and Chicken 90.
How to Make Chicken 65 Restaurant-style at Home?
This restaurant-style chicken 65 is a delicious, spicy, deep-fried starter, snack, or full meal when served with homemade garlic naan! Here, chicken is marinated in yogurt, spices, and curry leaves for a whole day, so it presents you with a deeply flavorful and aromatic dish.
Here, we have coated bite-sized chicken into spicy masala marinade made using chili powder, turmeric, garam masala powder, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, eggs, and rice flour. Then, this marinated chicken is deep fried till cooked and crispy. Serve it as it is or toss the chicken in a spicy sauce to enjoy.
Let’s see how you can make this crunchy, delicious chicken 65 at home!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 serves
- 500 gm chicken
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 4 tablespoon yogurt (curd)
- 4 green chili
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 pinch of red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves
- 4 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 stalk of chopped spring onions
Method to Prepare
- Take a large bowl and mix chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, curd, and salt together. It is a very important step as it will infuse the chicken with real flavors.
- Now, wash the chicken in cold running water and chop it. Once done, add the pieces to the marinade.
- Coat the chicken pieces well. Once coated, keep them aside for at least 4 to 5 hours so the pieces absorb the flavors. You can keep them in the fridge.
- Now, take a deep-bottomed pan and heat oil in it over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, carefully put the marinated chicken pieces in the oil.
- Shallow fry them until cooked and golden from both sides.
- Remove and add chicken pieces to another pan without oil over low heat. This step will make the chicken crispier.
- Once done, add the green chilis, curry leaves, and ketchup. Toss well with the chicken pieces and ensure that the pieces are well coated.
- Keep cooking over medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer them to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped green onions.
- Your chicken 65 is ready. Serve and enjoy with drinks of your choice!
Must Check: Buffalo Chicken Recipe: Restaurant-style Chicken Wings at Home!
With the help of this super easy chicken 65 recipe, your friends and family will become fans of your cooking! Children are going to love the crispy and savory chicken 65 absolutely. So, prepare this flavorful snack on weekends or when guests are coming over!