Cassata Siciliana or cassatina is an authentic Italian dessert that is not only beautiful to look at but delicious to eat as well! It is Sicily’s must-have dessert as it is filled with quintessential Italian flavors and proves to be an irresistible treat.
It was originated only as a simple egg, sugar, and ricotta cheesecake. However, the fanbase of this lavish dessert is on another level. Today’s cassata is one of the most complex cakes that is made with liqueur-soaked sponge cake layered with sweetened ricotta cheese. On top, candied fruits and jellies are giving it a tangy taste.
When you buy frozen cassata cake from the store, you will be getting a cake that is filled with ice cream. Such disrespect to a traditional and iconic Italian delicacy! The authentic version of Cassata Siciliana is always filled with ricotta cheese and served chilled.
Traditionally, your cassata will be sugar-glazed and will be extravagantly decorated with candied fruit, jellies, and curlicues. Are you getting eager to eat this cake? Well, you need not visit Sicily, Italy, to enjoy this treat as we will help you make this delicious at your home!
Five Star Vs. Homemade Cassata Siciliana Ingredients’ Comparison!
Now, you will wonder how to make this authentic and traditional Italian dessert at home. Well, we are here to help you. We will tell you the alternatives you can use to create authentic Cassata Siciliana at home without any extra money and compromising the taste and texture.
Here is a comparison table that will help you shop easily for this dessert:
|Name of Ingredient||5-star||At Home|
|Cheese||Ricotta made using whole Sheep’s milk||Full-fat ricotta|
|Sponge cake||Restaurant made cake||Homemade cake|
|Flour||Hand refined 00 flour||Store-bought 00 flour|
|Vanilla||Vanilla beans||Vanilla extract essence|
Now, you know how you can make this delectable Italian delicacy at your home. So, get ready to make this lavish and gorgeous Cassata Siciliana without wasting too much money.
Notes You Must Follow
- Once you have decided to make this delicious dessert recipe, ensure that you use a stale Pan Di Spagna (sponge cake). For that, bake this cake a few days before you plan to make this dessert. This is the main secret behind the authentic recipe of this cake.
- We let the cake go stale because we won’t use any leavening agent. The volume will come entirely from beaten egg whites. Hence, we will need a stale Pan Di Spagna (sponge cake) to get the desired flavor.
- Before you start preparing for your cassata, let the ricotta dry. Wrap it in paper towels for at least 2 hours for perfect texture and taste.
- Cassata is a lavishly decorated cheesecake. So, ensure you decorate it with candied fruits such as cherries, oranges, and pears.
- Once it is assembled, slide it into the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. This is very important because it will help cassata set properly.
- You will need a special pan for its assembly. Shop a pan that has flared sides and a slightly raised bottom. Also, ensure that the base is dusted with icing sugar or lined with butter paper for easy and damage-free unmolding.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Servings: 8 to 10 people
- 2 ¼ lb./1 kg. ricotta
- 4 ½ cups/570 g. powdered sugar
- 10½ oz./300 g. marzipan
- One cup/220 g. granulated sugar
- ½ cup/120 g. dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup/110 g. ‘00’ flour
- ¾ cup/110 g. potato starch
- ½ cup/100 g. of maraschino
- Three oz./80 g of candied fruit
- Five large eggs
- Two egg yolks
- One egg white
- One vanilla essence
- green and yellow dyes
- Apricot jam
- Whole candied fruit
- Butter and flour for the mold
Method to Prepare
- Do this process 2 or 3 days before you plan to make cassata because you will want your Pan Di Spagna to go stale.
- Begin the process by preheating the oven to 350°F/180 °C.
- Now, take a baking pan, grease it with butter and flour, and line it with baking paper.
- Take a mixing bowl and whip five eggs, whites, and two egg yolks along with granulated sugar.
- Whip it until you get foam. Then, add flour, potato starch, salt, lemon zest, and pour the mixture into the greased mold.
- Now, slide the baking pan into the preheated oven and bake it for 45 minutes.
- Once it is baked, leave it in the fridge for 2 to 3 days to let it go stale.
- Now, after three days, let’s continue this process once again. It is a vital process and will be worth the wait.
- Now, knead the marzipan with green colored dye until you get the uniform color.
- Take the dried ricotta and add 2 cups of powdered sugar, dark chocolate chips, and candied fruit. Add a few drops of vanilla extract essence and slide into the fridge for half an hour.
- Take out your sponge cake and use a long serrated knife or sturdy thread to cut them horizontally into layers.
- Put one slice at the bottom of the cassata pan and brush it with diluted rum and water mixture. To make this mixture, add two tablespoons of water into half a cup of rum.
- Now, add the ricotta and chocolate mixture on top of the brushed sponge cake.
- Then, close it with the other layer of the sponge cake and again brush it with the rum-water mixture.
- Close the cake with plastic wrap and slide it into the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Take it out of the refrigerator after 24 hours and turn it upside down on a wire rack.
- Roll out the marzipan and cut it into strips. Circle it around the cassata.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 cups of powdered sugar along with one egg white. Add a few tablespoons of water.
- Garnish the cassata with candied fruit and enjoy!
So, no need to buy expensive plane tickets and visit Sicily, Italy, to eat this delicious and stunning dessert. We will help you recreate this authentic dessert at home with your everyday ingredients that are easy to find. So, prepare yourself and bake this wonderfully delicious Cassata Siciliana at home and enjoy!