It will be very hard to find breakfast more iconic than this Caribbean bake and saltfish, which is full of Icelandic flavors! In this recipe, the golden-fried dough is paired with tomato and saltfish to create one of the most flavorsome breakfast combos.
It is a Caribbean breakfast staple dish and you can find it in many West Indian nations like Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Saint Lucia, and Grenada. The main ingredient of fried bake is flour and you can serve this dish in various ways. Traditionally, it is served with saltfish and steamed veggies.
Delicious Bake and Saltfish Recipe!
Caribbean cuisine is not all about jerk recipes as it also has various flavorus recipes. One of them is the saltfish and bake recipe. It is a delightful blend of saltfish sautéed along with veggies like onions, garlic, tomatoes, and thyme.
In this recipe, we use salted cod. However, you will need to prepare the fish beforehand. For that, soak the fish in saltwater for at least overnight or for a couple of days, if possible. Then finely shred it.
If you don’t want to wait then you can purchase the salted fish from the market that has been salted for preservation. Before you eat this fish, ensure you either wash it or boil the salt out. So, let’s see how you can make this Caribbean breakfast recipe at home!
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8 serves
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tablespoon shortening or butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water or more
- Soaked and shredded fish
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ pound saltfish
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1-2 green onions chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon parsley
- 2-3 tomatoes diced
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon or bouillon powder optional
Method to Prepare
- For saltfish, take a medium skillet and add onions, oil, garlic, thyme, paprika, and saute everything for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Don’t forget to stir, otherwise it will get burned. After 3 minutes, add hot pepper, white pepper, and mix the ingredients until everything is entirely combined. Add as much as water you need.
- Finally, add the saltfish and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Remove the fish from the flame and let it cool. You can prepare this a day ahead.
For the Bake
- Take a large bowl and add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Give them a good whisk.
- Then, add shortening or butter and use your fingers to whisk.
- Now, pour water gently into dry ingredients until all is moistened and held together like a ball.
- Once the dough ball is ready, turn it on a floured surface and roll it out. With the help of a cookie cutter, cut the prepared dough.
- Take a large saucepan and pour vegetable oil and let it heat for some time.
- Once hot, fry the baked golden brown for about 5 minutes depending on size. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper napkins.
- Once cool, split them in half and fill them with your prepared saltfish.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Must Check: Virgin Mojito Recipe: Deliciously Make Mojito and Stay Hydrated!
This is one of the most delicious and easy-to-make breakfast recipes. The best thing about this dish is that you can prepare the fish a day ahead. So, you need not have to worry about hectic mornings. So, without waiting further, try this bake and saltfish recipe and present a delicious breakfast to your family.